Monday, May 02, 2005

OK, so I'm an unabashed gay for Vice magazine. I know, it's easy to hate on, but I have to admit that I am squarely in its intended readership demographic. I found something on the viceland website recently that I particularly liked-"Love Kills" a comic from 1990 by none other than Vice editor Gavin MacInnes, a man now probably most famous for making fun of people's clothes, about touring the squats of Europe using connections he got from the back pages of Maximum Rock and Roll. That's right, before all the cynicism and hipster sarcasm, seems like Mr. MacInnes actually believed in some things and talks about anarchist gatherings and demonstrations the way now talks about nice shoes or whatever. The (kind of dirty) style is maybe something like James Kolchaka or even Snakepit zine
, though judging from the timeframe it was probably most influenced by P. Bagge's Hate comics and the like.

No comments: